Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Book Review: Tunisian Crochet For Baby

Title: Tunisian Crochet For Baby
Author: Sharon Silverman
Year Published: 2014; printed in USA

Dee's Rating: 10 Hooks out of 10

Remember that adorable baby blanket I crocheted for my nephew-to-be? (We're expecting his arrival any day now!) The pattern was by Sharon Silverman, which I enjoyed working on greatly.  Shortly after I completed that project I was asked if I would review her newest book, Tunisian Crochet For Baby, I was tickled, well, yes, one could say I was tickled pink!

In flipping through the digital pages I was instantly pleased -- this book has some really great projects for crocheters wanting to crochet something special for baby while perhaps learning something new in Tunisian such as entrelac, cables, even Tunisian in the Round!  The projects range in skill level from Easy to Experienced, so there is plenty for the beginner with some crochet experience to grow their skill with, and projects to give the Experienced crocheter some challenge.

Something unique about the projects featured in this book I'd like to point out: some of the projects can grow with the tike!  See that Checkerboard Blanket pictured on the top right? It is now on my To Make List for my Mahgurl.  That's right, for my grown babygurl who is all set to graduate high school come summer! Wouldn't it look great in the school colors of the college she'll be attending?  I think so too!

And then there's the Nursery Box. If I had crocheted something like that for Mahgurl when she was a tot, it too would have grown with her. From holding little baby treasures, to crayons, to Barbies, to hair accessories, to whatever she'd need it to store in her dorm room.

In the sixteen project-sections of the book, Sharon offers 23 adorable patterns for the bundles of joy in our lives, with the sizing focus on newborn to 12-months. The projects are shown in a variety of colors from traditional to non-traditional, with clear and crisp photography (this is quite nice if you utilize the zooming option with digital books!).  Even the How To's are photographed very well, with good sized photos for clearer understanding.  Even sweeter -- the projects are complete with accompanying stitch charts. Sharon also included refreshers for both Traditional and Tunisian crochet, and a Beyond the Basics section which is great for newbie and "a bit rusty" crocheters! Because of everything I just mentioned, I give this book the rating of Ten Hooks!

No comments: